Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Friendship

This came to me in an email this morning and I thought it warranted being shared on Hannah's blog.


What I learned from an 8 year old

"On Sunday we took Emma's friend, Hannah, home from church with us to play. Emma and Hannah have a sweet, loving relationship. They have known each other since they were babies, attended preschool together and just really enjoy being together. But now that they are school aged and busy with activities their time together is really limited. Emma is always complaining that she doesn't get to see Hannah enough.

As our church meets in a school, our Sunday evening services are held in a small office complex. The "childcare" consists of combining all age groups in one small room. No curriculum or lesson, just the kids messing around. The kids say it is kind of boring. Given that, here's the conversation I had with Hannah:

Me: "Hannah, do you want to go to church with us tonite or do you want me to drop you home on the way?" Given what I just said about our services, it wasn't a given she would go.

She looked at me, at Emma, thinking. Emma all the while is looking at Hannah expectantly. . .

Hannah: "Church!"

Emma's eyes grew wide as a smile spread across her face. "Really?? You really want to go?"

Hannah: "You know I would do anything to spend more time with you, Emma!" And she reached out and hugged her.

At that moment, my heart was so blessed. The selfless act of a little girl for her friend just struck me. She defined for me what true friendship is. Even if things are not easy or comfortable. Even if you have to go through something you don't enjoy, you do it for the sake of your friend. I don't know why this moment was so profound for me? But I just wanted to share it with you, friends. "

"A friend loves at all times."
Proverbs 17:17

2 comments:

Kim said...

That is a great moment. Thanks for sharing! (Makes me realize how much I'm really missing my bff!)

Anonymous said...

that is really sweet! I love that. Does Lori have a blog anymore? I remember they were one of the first to have a blog. I think before they were even called blogs.