Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Totally Unexpected...Kinda

Hannah had a dentist appointment this afternoon after school. The appointment was to put sealants on a few of her teeth. However, upon check in, the receptionist said she had paperwork for me to sign. I didn't think anything of it, until she mentioned the words 'doing extractions today...and this is your part". Huh?

Two weeks ago, Hannah had a consult with an orthodontist to have her look over her xrays and consult us on what the future holds for Hannah has far as braces go, etc. Her having missing adult teeth, adult teeth starting to come in crocked as seen on xray, etc. She recommended that some teeth be pulled and a spacer be put in to save room for these adult teeth coming in. But she wanted to talk to Hannah's dentist first to see if it was something she wanted to do, or wanted the orthodontist to do it. The orthodontist was supposed to call me and let me know what was decided.

She never did. But apparently had talked to our dentist and recommended four teeth be pulled and a spacer put in. After consulting with Steven over the phone, and quickly calling Gramma to tell her to start praying, I proceeded to break the news to Hannah. Of course she cried (I almost cried telling her) and I assured her that Dr. Hoffer was going to take good care of her and I assured her that it wouldn't hurt. So off we went into the procedure room...

Quick, one last picture of you with all your teeth!
Hannah chose a 'grape nose' for her procedure.
This is how they administer the nitrous gas.
A mold of her teeth for her spacer, some polishing, sealants applied to three teeth, a little soft spot drilled out, and four teeth extracted later. Here she is with a mouth of gauze.
After the 'sleepy' medicine had worn off and she was feeling fine.
She was sent home with all four of her teeth in these cute little treasure boxes. She tucked them safely under her pillow this evening and the tooth fairy, aka Mommy or Daddy, left her some green stuff in exchange! She did such a great job! I'm so proud of how she handled it. She did a lot better than I would have done! We go back in three weeks for her spacer to be glued in place.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh, Hannah, I know how you feel! I had six baby teeth pulled when I was about six years old. I hope you're feeling better today!