Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Writing Thank You Notes

The general rule of thumb in our house following a birthday, or Christmas, is that you have to write your Thank You Notes before you can use or play with the gifts you received. Although this birthday there were a few exceptions - like when Daddy busted out the Guitar Hero shortly after all the party guests left. LOL.

I'm pretty particular about what I'd like to see in the notes, Hannah expressing thanks for the specific gift by name, and then add something else, for example, "I really wanted that", "I look forward to listening to them", "I used your gift card towards...."

But you know, following this birthday I gave up in asking her to be more detailed. Her simply writing a "Thank You Note" is still her expressing her thanks and gratitude formally in a written note, and second, her simple statements of "Thank You for the ...." and sent in a note is a lot more than we receive on a lot of occasions when it comes to gift giving. LOL.

I know that the giving of a gift is not to seek a formal "thank you" in return. But I do believe it's proper etiquette and in this day and age, our society can use all the etiquette that be taught! LOL.

No comments: