Sunday, December 10, 2006

Spreading Holiday Cheer

Our church has a ministry that goes to an assisted living center in our community twice a month. Remembering back to when my Gramma was alive, and in a home in her final weeks, and how my Gramma's face and the faces of the other residents lit up when they saw me come to visit with Hannah (who was not even 2 years old) has made me think about the joy I could bring to others simply by bringing my children to visit once in a while.

Today, the ministry had a little Christmas reception, that included some of the cast of our church's Christmas program singing and performing, a simple Christmas devotion, cookies and punch, and Christmas caroling. We made it a family thing and the four of us went to help bring some holiday cheer to these wonderful old people. We bought candy canes and took them with us to pass to the residents. Hannah was hesitant at first, but she did it! She went person to person, wheelchair to wheelchair, passing out candy canes, me following behind and wishing them a Merry Christmas. The women had such smiles on their faces, and they got a few good chuckles from watching Rachel. LOL. All in all, it was a good outing. Made me glad that we went and we were able to spread some Holiday cheer and show them Jesus' love.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds great! I can't wait to do it too.

I sent in my volunteer application and background check to our local care facility, and I am waiting to hear back from them about when the kids and I can begin visiting. I have been uncertain how the kids will do, so I'm glad to hear your kids did well.